Ask Regina

Q. We have a new employee and were wondering if the personal lines license would reginabe an alternative to the General Lines Property & Casualty License. What is a Personal Lines Property & Casualty Agent allowed to do?

A. A personal lines property and casualty license is required for any individual or entity that receives commission and is involved in the solicitation of, negotiation for, procurement of, or collection of premiums on an insurance contract offered primarily for personal or household use by any type of insurance carrier authorized to sell property and casualty insurance products, including:
  • An inter-insurance exchange;
  • A mutual company, including a farm mutual or a county mutual;
  • A reciprocal exchange; or
  • A Lloyd’s plan insurer.

The authority for this license does not include farm and ranch liability exposures.
An individual or entity with this license can be either (1) an agent with an appointment from an insurance company, or (2) a subagent with an appointment from another licensed agent or agency. A general lines property and casualty license holder is not required to hold this license as well.

For more information on licensing see the IIAT Licensing Toolkit.

Have a regulatory or technical insurance question? Ask Regina.
This entry was posted in Ask Regina, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s